CW360° E-business column: Real World: Web services – the future, where Atos KPMG Consulting’s Andy Tinlin offers 10 predictions for the future of web services:
- The standards underpinning Web services will hold up.
- The financial services, travel, energy and public sectors will be among the first to embrace Web services.
- The US will not take its traditional lead over Europe when it comes to Web services innovation.
- Web services will dramatically change the software market.
- There will be a shift in the balance of power between technology suppliers and their customers, in favour of the users.
- Web services will become the basic building block of technology and business infrastructures.
- Security issues – particularly personal privacy, authentication and data ownership – will rise up the corporate agenda.
- Web services will boost broadband adoption.
- We will see a growing demand for improved knowledge management, data storage and data retrieval systems.
- As Web services mature, they will bring new organisational models, including the much-discussed “virtual organisation”.
Interesting predictions. Most are correct, I think.